Sunday, March 1, 2009

Witnessed

I woke up Saturday morning to the this melody pushing me, urging me to get out of my bed, so I wrote, I recorded, barely ate then recorded some more. Come 6 o clock that night I realized I had done nothing but work on this track the entire day, I didn't catch even the slightest glimpse of sun. Sunday I decided to actually leave my place, get out and meet Kelly, my roommate, Stefen and Thomaslav, in a cafe and work on lyrics while they worked away on their perspective things. I brought my camera with me and just shot random things that filled my day. It's nice to come out into the world to work on lyrics, hear my song in headphones pretending I was someone else, working away, just listening with no intent. I asked some friends to listen to the song on my Ipod or via email and give me four words that come to mind. I got an email from a girl named Annalisa, she gave me three, but those three words hit me really hard. Flying, Falling and stillness. I fell in love with this idea, this contradiction in words, this beautiful place in the middle, a gorgeous almost lack of being - a gentle purgatory. She has mono right now and she is lying in bed. I thanked her for the inspiration and asked how she was doing, she told me that she was trying to be still, trying to communicate with every little part of her that she was present and then she said, "Thanks for asking, its nice to be witnessed even if it is in weakness". It is nice to be witnessed. I went home and in a fury of inspiration, took the clips that I had been shooting all day and put them to this song as is, before I really get to it. There is something that I wanted to share in this, maybe just how I live, maybe how I feel, or maybe, just to be witnessed.


Milosh on the Metro from mike milosh on Vimeo.

29 comments:

Swan said...

I'd witness you any day, this is beautiful.

Steve said...

Thanks for thinking of me, Mike. Love to help out however I can. Any luck with Maile?

Chequerboard said...

Sterling stuff Mike.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

I don't know what it was about this piece Mike but I felt it was brilliant. Not sure if it was just the music or editing or the piece on a whole but I enjoyed it. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Dude, this is good. Good sound. good feel. good film. I disagree with Anonymous. this is showing yourself to your listeners. The clip takes the ordinary day and makes it more. And shows your concern for this girl and the inspiration you share. Keep up the good work man. I wish I wass as bold. And I like the witness jarg

Mike Milosh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Just listening to your music on myspace and saw this link and found this video to be something special. Very soothing pretty sounds. So happy you share these Milosh. I will look forward to more of this!

Anonymous said...

ANONYMOUS GUY

In response to your response

I believe that your a musician and that you should make music.... Not write detailed blogs about your music and how ring modulation synthesizers make you feel.

SEAN FUNK said...

dear anonymous,
you should start a blog about how much you hate milosh's blog.

Mike Milosh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Sharing feelings openly is a courageous act. For myself, along with other listeners, I appreciate this look at Mike's process. His works are a collaboration of his sensitivity (that many of us guys are scared to show) and this blog makes it more clear the thought and emotion added to the details in the sounds he makes. Perhaps its your ego thats inflated? Or uncomfortable with emotions?

-another Anonymous guy

Anonymous said...

your good at photography Milosh


this is just a bit silly

Anonymous said...

I LOOOVVVEEE this sweetness!!!!!

Matt Xavier - Railyard Recordings said...

This blog should be reserved for fans who actually appreciate the unique opportunity to watch a master at work.

IMO, this blog isn't a democracy where everyone has the right to shout whatever trash they want from behind an anonymous account.

I suggest removing all negatively based remarks that are truly unhelpful to the beautiful process unfolding.

Being able to watch Mike work is a privilege for his many fans across the globe. Thanks for giving us a glimpse into your world Mike. We know how difficult it can be to expose yourself like this, we support your courageous effort and hope you continue creating the positivity that others obviously lack within.

As for my three words:

Resistance, Redemption, Healing. :)

Matt Xavier
Railyard Recordings
NYC

Anonymous said...

Who would have thought that a video of a guy riding the sub and then a bus would pull a tear from my eye and leave my head swimming in the silence after the last note faded....so sad that it was over.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Matt Xavier: you should feel free to remove anonymous nonconstructive rubbish.

Anonymous said...

Like the above post, I couldve cried! This is bittersweet ,a perfect end to my day though. Mono is the WORST! I had it when I turned 30 and it lasted almost 4 months. i thought I was dying! This melody is a fine medicine though. Your film is very well done and the piano bit will stay with me. I hope we hear more amd thank you for this! cheers mate!

John Singer Sargent said...

Three words:
-Innocence
-Exposure
-Apathy

Anonymous said...

This is does not sound apathetic to me. It sounds like Paris in the winter just before the spring. or maybe that just where I am at.

Anonymous said...

this is pretty and sad

Anonymous said...

beautiful sentiment

Anonymous said...

My three words: chance, love, desperation paired with hope. This is very nice, very beautiful. -A.M.

Anonymous said...

At about 1:25 I would like to see you build on that energy. I could really see you creating a very uplifting piece from this.

€||¥ said...

Most beautiful_ this quiet love sigh

Anonymous said...

Mike I enjoy this blog of yours. All the entry's are diffirent and show me the process in the work. This one, I could cry. The classical style is so fragile. Sweet. You are a musician with much tallent.

Meg said...

Thanks for this video. I live in MTL and travel through a lot of those places you shot daily. Totally reminds me of that first MTL winter.

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhhhmazing! something in this stays and lingers after two watches. I don't lnow what it is but I like it.

Marnie Brumder said...

I love how your music goes so well with life. I know, redundant to say. But seriously, I can listen to your music while making breakfast, doing my taxes, reading, painting, sitting at the airport, being stuck in traffic - but it is all so beautiful and your music reminds me of that. Thanks.