Friday, February 6, 2009

A Work In Progress

I needed to get away from the track "Wasted Time" for a bit, let it simmer for a while, while my mind digested something else, so I started working on another song, working title, "The Knife". I have a feeling that this song is going to become the central idea of the record, the song that most lyrically toys with "the knife" and thus sounds most like what I am taking from this analogy, this romantic love affair. I thought I would show a work in progress, where I am at with just a piano part and a vocal line before the song really starts to take shape. I thought it would be interesting to hear the skeleton, the initial spark that had me pushing to write more, the idea as it was when it was born. I am not sure yet if the song is going to take on a prettier tone or a more haunting or horrific one, I am not sure what is going to continue coming out of me and how fast, but I am liking the direction so far, I am liking where it is going, this current beneath the ice. Though the images of the frozen creek don't directly relate to this particular song, this is the creek where for years I derived much inspiration, the place where I would just sit for hours and settle, and think and write. I have a real fond attachment to this particular location for many reasons so I thought I would show it.


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

very cool... thanks for sharing the work in progress. Always makes the final product that much more interesting.

wikky said...

beautiful

Anonymous said...

I kinda love it. and hey, i am pretty sure you can EASILY play this live..... no big deal. ;)

DELETED said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

beautiful blog, beautiful music

einar parker said...

cool, beautiful, in mood, waiting to hear it fully shaped. Thanks for work in progress this always helps to look in creators mind and see (hear) the way he works which is interesting

karis said...

I am in love. It is so beautifully haunting. Can't wait to hear the outcome of it all.

Unknown said...

It was unseasonably warm in Philadelphia today. All of last week's snow was melting into black city slush, dirtying the bottoms of my jeans. I walked in the much appreciated and missed sunshine and I listened to a playlist of my favorite tunes. As I immersed myself in the artists that incapsulate my many moods and bring rhythm to my happenings, I thought to myself 'How do all these songs start?'. There were two tracks that that I repeated over and over to appreciate. The first was 'Superstitious' by Stevie Wonder. It has such a prominent keyboard lick in the beginning, but was that the catalyst to the finished product or a melody he had to get out? The second was yours; 'Its Over'. Did it start with an experience, or the beat? I often wonder while listening to your music, how much of your intonation is spontaneous and how much is composed? What is the origin of a beat that ebbs and flows?

After month without glancing, I decided to check in on myspace today only to find that you've posted an answer to my very inquiry! Sharing the beginning phase of this work is very generous of you. Many thanks. As far whether it should have 'prettier tone or a more haunting or horrific one'. I think both. Many (if not most) experiences in life begin one way and end another. Like life itself; we begin weak, afraid and pure in thought. Time gives us strength, wisdom and the callouses of experience. In the end we go back to beginning. I think the melody and mood has the potential to express an array of emotions but stay within the same sphere. I will be checking in as it unfolds.

Namaste,
Brianna

Anonymous said...

Much incredible! You are a gem. This gift is haunting but sensual. please do nt stop work. Bare your soul! This feels how I feel when Im missing my lover and forgetful of me

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Very cool. Very beautiful.

Marnie Brumder said...

Oh my god, this is wonderful.